Thursday, October 16, 2008

Remember Baby Jessica?

I have a pretty bad memory when it comes to my childhood. Hell, most of the time I can barely remember what I did just days ago! :) But there are a few things that I can always remember quite clearly. One of them was the rescue of little "Baby Jessica" from that Texas well. I remember watching the live coverage on TV, hoping that she'd be rescued and would be ok, and then being happy when they did get her out. So it's kind of wild to think that all this happened 21 years ago! I was just 7 years old at the time. Baby Jessica is now 22-year-old Jessica with a husband and baby of her own, from what I've read. Do you remember when all this happened too?

I know something similar happens in a Simpsons episode, where Bart falls down a well (though he's faking it) and the community gathers for his rescue. Wheter it was a direct reference, who knows...


"On this day in 1987, 18-month-old Jessica McClure was pulled from a well in MIdland, Texas, where she had been trapped for three days. People from all over the United States had been watching the rescue efforts on television, as 400 emergency workers and volunteers worked to extricate "Baby Jessica" from the 8-inch wide space, 22 feet below the surface. After her rescue, Jessica had several surgeries, and she was able to make a full recovery.


The story gained worldwide attention (leading to some criticism as a media circus), and later became the subject of a 1989 ABC TV movie, "Everybody's Baby: The Rescue of Jessica McClure," starring Patty Duke and Beau Bridges. As presented in the movie, a vital part of the rescue was the use of the then relatively new technology of waterjet cutting."

No comments: