Monday, June 8, 2009

The Big Move

Last Wednesday, as I was driving from work, headed to the gym, I received a text message. It began with the words, "I'm prepared to move in with you..." It was from Juan, of course.

We met exactly 7 1/2 years ago. And in that time we've always been close, from the very first day. Sure we had our little bumps in the road, but everyone usually does. We worked through them all and learned a lot from them, which allowed us both to grow as individuals but more importantly as a couple. Now I feel...WE feel...that we've reached an important point. That point where we truly understand each other and accept each other for who we are.

Over these years the closest we got to living together was when we'd go on vacation and spend days in a hotel together, or when our families would be out of town and we'd have either of our houses to ourselves. (Yes, we both still live with our families...we're Latinos...we have a ticket to do so 'til old age if we choose, right? lol) Often during those moments I would think to myself how it'd be nice if it were always like that, to have a place to call our own. Lately, we've been spending even more time sleeping over at either of our houses, even more so than we used to. I would usually only come over on Thursday nights, a sort of tradition, and then we'd spend more time on the weekend together. But then I think it was when Juan's car was in the shop that I started to sleep over a few more days in the week, to give him rides. And it felt so nice, to be able to see him more often. It got to be tough on those nights where I had to sleep alone in my room at home. I missed him. And on mornings like today, Monday, it's even tougher. Knowing I just had a beautiful weekend with him and now have to go to work and will be alone tonight, it kinda sucks. But I know that we can change that. Of course it's not just about not wanting to be alone at night that we're talking about moving in together. It's about us feeling that we're both ready for that next step.

I'd always felt I would definitely want to move in with him. I've known for a while he's the one. I know that for Juan, it took some searching, mostly within him, and through us, to eventually realize I was the only one for him, and now that he's ready to find a place we can call home together. I'm ready too. It's a big step for us, but I know that together we can make it work and be happy. So we've been thinking about it now, places we might want to live in, what kind of apartments, what furniture we'd take and what we'd buy new, what our price ranges would be, who would do what chores, and so on. We're just starting out. We don't have an exact date set yet. There's no huge rush or deadline. Hopefully before year's end if things work out. I feel it's gonna be a bit of a bigger transition for me, since I've known no other home but the one I live in for all my life. It's my family's home. Soooo many memories there. Plus I still need to have that talk with them and tell them my plans. I know they'll probably be a bit sad, but I hope they'll understand. I know I'll probably be a bit sad as well, having to leave, but in the end I know I'm making the right choice.

I love Juan. He loves me. We're both done searching, we know we're meant for each other....and we're finally ready for the big move. I'm excited!

No comments: