Monday, September 22, 2008

HEROES: Villains (Ep 1 & 2)

It's 11:02 as I start to write this. I just finished watching the third season premiere of Heroes. Finally! It'd been way too long since the last episode, which I believe was over 9 months ago! So I was definitely excited to watch two new hours tonight. Even the one hour premiere party/special that aired before was fun to watch. If you haven't seen the new episodes yet and want no spoilers, then definitely stop reading now. These are just my quick reactions right after the episode. I'll probably forget to mention some things, but feel free to comment and add your own inputs.



****SPOILERS BELOW****

Where do I begin? I guess I could start by saying that I really loved the episode. Then again, when haven't I? Despite some negative things that some people may have said about the last season, I still enjoyed that one. But so far, I think this season's already off to a great start. In just the first two hours they've already answered some of the "questions" as well as brought about so many new and exciting possibilities and futures.

We finally know the answer to the big question that was posed at the end of season 2. Who was that mysterious man in the cap that shot Nathan at the press conference? I would've put my money down on Noah Bennett. But then again, that seemed like the easy answer. I'm never good at guessing these things. hehe But I figured there'd have to be some sort of twist. The three people I never would've guessed were the three men up at the podium (Peter, Nathan and Matt). Ah, but then again I didn't think about the whole "futures" people. Scar-face Peter travels back in time to stop Nathan from revealing his...THEIR...secrets to the world, in hopes of changing the future for the better. But as with any tweaks in time, there are always consequences, changes, different outcomes and new futures set in motion. That dream-vision that Angela Petrelli has, in which the Heroes are all scattered, dead, and then poor Claire loses her head. Damn!

Which brings us to another big answer. Finally we know Angela's power! Then again, I know the hints were always there. Peter had to have gotten his dream-visions from somebody, after all. For some reason though, I don't think that's the only power Angela has. I still think she's keeping something back, maybe something bigger? Hmmmm.


And speaking of bigger, let's go to everybody's favorite smarty-pants, Mohinder Suresh. Have I not been paying that close attention before? Was he always that...beefcakey!? lol Or was it all a part of the Maya-power-juice he injected himself with? Did they make him literally bulk up and become muscle-man instantly? And what was with his milk cravings. I guess milk really does a body good, or at least Mohinder's! But if the fine print in that injection included "may cause sudden gruesome skin infections and peeling"....hmmm....I think I'd have to pass.

What was up with Nicky...or wait, was it Jessica? Actually, I think this ice princess may be someone new after all. Tracy Strauss, she called herself. And her power was definitely not one Nicky or Jessica had before. Exactly how many Nicky doppelgangers are there? I guess we'll have to wait to find that out.

I think my favorite little funny scene was when Parkman was talking to the tortoise. At first I figured there was someone standing above him. But then the tortoise kept "talking" so I thought...hmmmm....maybe his power has gone to the next level and he can communicate with the animal kingdom now! That would actually be pretty damn cool! But nope, my first thought was right. There was that mysterious African man, who apparently works for Sprint's outsourcing department, too. LOL

And what would Heroes be without the further adventures of Hiro! I know some people didn't care for his ancient Japan adventures, but his new ones with his speedster "nemesis" are already looking like a lot more fun. And now he's got the financial backings to help him on his journeys, such as his little GPS gizmo. He's like Batman and Ando is his Robin, which was actually made pretty clear in the episode. lol

Finally, there's the whole Level 5 deal, where they keep the best of the best worst. Sylar finally got what he's been wanting from the cheerleader for so long! (And no Mrs. Bennett, it wasn't what you think!) And while helping himself to some Claire knowledge, he grabbed some revealing documents from Noah's office. That scene when Claire was trapped in the closet and Sylar was just outside the door reminded me a lot of the original Halloween. I almost expected Sylar to bust his hand through the door. Oh and when he is checking out Claire's brain, she asks him "Are you gonna eat my brain?"...a question that we've been wondering so long. I loved Sylar's answer, "That's disgusting." lol And then off to Level 5 he goes, kills Elle's dad, but ultimately ends up being captured after being shocked unconscious by Elle. Unfortunately, that same little electrical outburst ends up freeing twelve of the worst superpowered people from Level 5. The dirty dozen are now on the loose, and it's up to Noah to stop them. But is he gonna let Claire join him? She apparently feels no pain anymore and can't die, so what's the worse that can happen....right? Father-Daughter quality time. It's the American way!

Quick side note....for Veronica Mars fans...as Elle was laying there beaten up and sees Jesse (actually Peter trapped inside Jesse...still not sure how Scar-face Peter pulled that one off)...but I almost expected to hear Elle say..."Weevil...is that you?" lol

I guess this ended up being more of a recap than a review. But how many more ways can I say how much I love the show, and especially the start of this new season! I wasn't disappointed one bit, and I really felt like the story is a lot more action and fast paced than ever. I love that! And it's cool that there are actually more villains out there, the dirty dozen as I was calling them earlier. I look forward to seeing how they hunt them down one by one, and what kinda damage the villains can bring to the Heroes.

Edit 9/23/08: Forgot to mention, regarding that online Create Your Hero voting contest where you get to pick your favorite new hero, who might then make his/her way onto the show...my vote went to the Peruvian soccer player, Santiago! With Isaac Mendez gone, we could use some more Latino heroics. As of now, he's got 65% of the votes, going up against French girl Audrey.


****SPOILERS ABOVE****

No comments: