Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Big Picture

"In Loving Memory - May 1987 to June 2007" I saw those words on the back of a van as I was driving to work this morning. I see those kind of words on vehicles quite often, but for some reason this one got me thinking about a few things this morning. That guy was only 20 years old! He was still so young, had so much ahead of him. He fought for his country, for what he believed in, to protect all that we as Americans are able to have. I never knew him personally of course, and come to think of it I really don't know exactly how he passed away. Because of other stickers on the car, I knew he was in the military. But it all just got me thinking about how so many of the things that bother me on a daily basis can really seem so trivial compared to what other people face.

It made me think about all the scary things people out there in the world face on a daily basis. I have a job to earn money, a home to go to at the end of the day, a bed to sleep in, food to feed me, etc. I need to start looking at the bigger picture more often. There are bigger problems out there in the world. What difference am I making, if any? I'm not a bad person, I'd like to think that I'm not contributing to the problems...but then, am I helping? Hmmmm.

No comments: