Monday, April 6, 2009

Employed (Again)


Heard the good news?! I got a new job! I finally feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders!

Ever since that day in January, the Friday when half of the offices department's were laid off, shortly after we returned from our fun Vancouver trip, I've been a bit stressed and worried about what would happen next. Eventually, toward the end of February it became official that our company was going to be closing. They gave me a 2 month notice, with my last day to be at the end of April. That gave me at least two months to look for a new job. So all of March I was feeling especially nervous and stressed. The job market is tough right now. Seems like for every job opening there are hundreds of people applying! When I went on a job interview a few days ago, they literally had several interviews all going on at the same time. The hiring lady would go from person to person, checking up on each of us as we were doing different parts of the initial testing/screening processes.

Not knowing what my job future held also forced me to go on a tight budget. All my "wants" would have to be put on hold and I only allowed myself to purchase any "needs". Do you know how tough it was for me to see a new release DVD I really wanted (for example, Wonder Woman) and have to just walk away from it. Now I know what an addiction feels like. "Just say NO to DVDs." lol I also had to limit my outings a bit due to the money thing, but also because I was often feeling a bit bummed about the job thing and not really in much of a party mood. The whole car incident with Juan allowed me to spend more time at his place, which was actually a nice thing for me. Being with him, I was more relaxed, comfortable, happy and just able to forget my worries for those moments. And all this also made me a bit more distant from people. Because I wasn't going online as much as I used to (so I could use that time to focus on job hunts) and I wasn't really going out as much.

But now that I have a new job lined up, I feel so much more relieved! It's like a huge dark nagging cloud over my head has been whisked away! Sure, I know I'll be nervous once I start my new job in May. I always get a bit nervous during these types of big changes in my life. But I also know that eventually I'll settle in, get the hang of it, and then do great at the new place! For now, I can breathe again. I can feel more relaxed. I can allow myself a few treats (but not TOO much...shouldn't count all my chickens before they fully hatched hehe). I can finally feel some sense of calmness and normalcy again. There are a few other things I need to get to in my life, personal matters, but my main worry has been cleared for now.

And major thanks to you, Juan, for helping me get through this. Your support and encouragement meant a lot to me! You helped keep me together so I wouldn't lose my focus, and I really appreciate it!

1 comment:

superlative said...

Well done! That's really good, especially in the current jobs market when so many people are looking for work. Make sure you give yourself at least some treats to celebrate!