Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Last (full) Day At Work



It's finally arrived. My final full day working here. I can't believe it's been almost six years since I started here! Seems like so much has happened since then. Many people have come and gone from this company. We started out doing great, even opening a brand new store, things looked good. But you can never be too sure about the future of things, especially when it comes to businesses. Overall, it's been a nice run for me here. Might not have been the most glamorous job, but I made the best of it. I did my best and met/exceeded expectations on the job. I was able to learn about new music and movies that I might not have discovered otherwise. I was able to work with some cool people (despite my often keeping more to myself lol). And of course, can't forget the free lunches and musical guests we'd often have here in the office! How many companies will give you that! I was so fortunate to have been able to see many artists perform for us, up close and personal, in such a small intimate setting.

So yeah, I'll miss this place. And not just me, but many of the people that loved shopping at our stores, or even just browsing around and hanging out, which in itself could be fun. The future of the brick and mortar music store is uncertain. I hope that down the road it still remains, in one way or another, because there's just something about going to a store on a new release day and seeing what's out that can't be replaced by some clicks and scrolls on a web site.

Tomorrow is my official last day. I'm guessing I probably just come in for part of the day until I get my official paperwork, then I should be free to go. I don't deal with goodbyes so well. Always feels really awkward to me for some reason. I never know what to say. But at least I won't be the only one leaving tomorrow, so it's not like I'll stand out too much.

We have a little pizza lunch gathering today in one of the rooms here, I believe just for our dept, about a dozen or so people. Should be nice. A little awkward maybe since it's a celebration on the last full day for some of us. So it's a nice sentiment, but I just never really know what to say to people. Also, since I already have a job lined up, I feel a bit bad bringing it up to others that may not be so fortunate yet.

So we'll see how this day goes. Doing some small final cleaning up of my desk (and computer desktop), though I already did most of it little by little since I found out I had two months left back in February. There's really nothing much left for me to do, even in terms of actual work. It's all a matter of waiting now.

One door is closing while I head on to the next . . .
(Oh and about the image that accompanies this post...it's sort of an inside joke between Juan & I. hehe)

No comments: