Thursday, February 28, 2008

Moment of Truth

You've probably heard of, or maybe even seen, the new FOX show The Moment of Truth. And if you are a devoted viewer of that show...stop it! It's your fault my favorite scripted shows keep getting low ratings or cancelled! But that's another topic. lol


I don't know what to say about The Moment of Truth. Is this the new low we've sunk to on American television? Or are there still worse things to come? The way the show works, from what I know, is that they take people and ask them a series of True/False questions beforehand, using a polygraph (a.k.a. lie detector). They pick questions that tear apart your relationships, your work ethics, your friend's trust, etc. Really horrible questions. Then if you make it onto the show, they sit you up on stage with the host, while your friends and family sit in some chairs in front of you. They have a button that allows them to cancel a question that was asked to you, if they feel they don't want to hear it answered. But other than that, they have to sit there and listen to the contestants "revealing" answers. The more questions that the person answers truthfully, the more money they can win. I don't care how many thousands of dollars they'd offer me, I would never go on national television and embarrass myself like that. What's even worse, they bring your friends, family and loved ones along for that embarrassing ride! Often they are the ones that end up looking like the fools, for having been cheated on or deceived by their loved one. Take this woman who was on not long ago, for example:

Host: Since you've been married, have you had sexual relations with someone other than your husband?
Woman: I'm going to have to say yes.
Voiceover Lady: That answer is True.

Host: Do you think you're a good person?
Woman: I'm going to have to go with yes.
Voiceover Lady: That answer is False.

I know nobody is perfect. Almost everyone has done things they regret. Lots of people have skeletons in their closets. But do we really need to make a TV show out of them, and clap along as the person wins more and more money, meanwhile losing more and more friends? I think not. I don't even know how much of this show is real or staged...but still, I just don't get it!

No comments: