Friday, February 6, 2009

Dream Job

I dreamt about work last night. Or rather, changes at work. I don't remember everything at this moment, just bits and pieces. I was still working where I do now, at present time (after the layoffs from January). For whatever reason, I was given a new position within the company. I think it was something in the Human Resources department, since I was moved and seated in a cubicle near that area. Right now I work within the Product department. Long story short, I wasn't really enjoying my new job. It brought back all those feelings of confusion and nervousness that I tend to get when I start a new job. And plus, my boss was a lunatic! She wasn't someone that I actually recognized from my real life job though. She came by at one point and pretty much just dropped a giant yellow phone book into my desk, opens it up to the "T" section under Telephones and points at this big one page add for a company that sells office phones. She scribbles some weird note on the page (more like a glyph that I couldn't understand) and says, "Get me two certificates!" Then she just waddles away and says nothing else. I had no idea what she wanted. I noticed there was a number on there and it said "For a free brochure call..." Was that what she meant by certificates, that she wanted a brochure? Of course, the easy thing to do would be to follow her and ask. But for some reason she gave me the impression that she wasn't the approachable type and hated to be bothered. Plus, I tend to like solving my own problems using my creative thinking skills, which, mind you, have been praised before in the workplace. hehe

Then another man walks by collecting the "time sheets", which I guess was a form that I had to fill out declaring what hours I worked. Again, I was confused, since I currently just clock in and out using a time clock machine. When he saw I didn't have mine, he just demanded I have it ready soon and walked away. Again, I was just left confused. I walked back to my old desk to try to gather some of my things, not having been given the chance to get them when I was sent to my new desk. As I got to it, I noticed there was already a woman throwing my stuff into a box, clearing the desk for herself. Damn...they move quickly here! lol

I don't know what the whole point of the dream was. All I know is that it was full of those "new job" feelings I always dread. Being the "new guy" and not knowing yet how everything works, whose nice and who isn't, what it is exactly I'm meant to do, etc. I know this job I have now very well and am so comfortable in it, which can be a good and bad thing depending how you look at it. Regardless, I have a feeling I'll be somewhere new before the year's up.

No comments: