Sunday, March 2, 2008

Broken English


Not far from where I work, I've noticed a sign posted on a streetlight as I drive home. One of those signs advertising a service. It reads FIX YOUR ACCENT, followed by a phone number. I take it they are offering some sort of classes/training on how to be able to speak more "perfect" English, and eliminate your foreign accent.

Ok, I can see why some people would want to do this. Especially people in the mainstream media, or who are in the public eye a lot, might want to have a "clearer" English, for the sake of their job. But honestly, I love accents. I think they add something to our culture, how diverse it truly is. European, Spanish, South American, Australian...just a few of the accents I love hearing. Yes, I realize that at times it may be hard to understand someone with a really thick accent. But hey, they are trying!

Even I, who grew up here in the U.S. all my life, have an accent to some degree. I was the first born in my home, so my family spoke only Spanish to me. I didn't start learning more English until I entered school. And even then, all the way through High School, I was surrounded by students who grew up learning Spanish too, so all those hints of that "Latino/Spanish accent" went around. lol But I like it. To this day there are still a few words that I might have trouble pronouncing. But luckily, thanks to my years of education, I can find synonyms that are much easier to say. LOL

So hey, if it ain't broke...why fix it?

No comments: