Friday, March 28, 2008

Life's Coincidences

It's kind of funny the way things just seem to "connect" some times. The other day, my friend Felipe hit me up in an IM. "Hiyee!" he said. For some random reason, that one word brought up an image in my mind. My brain immediately went through the many years of pop culture information that have been stored in it and that one phrase, as I imagined it being pronounced in a super-perky sort of way, made me think of Bonnie Brindle. Name doesn't ring a bell? Well, if you didn't grow up in the 80's then you probably never watched a little show called Small Wonder. The show starred Tiffany Brissette as Vicki the Robot, a AI robot created to resemble a not-so-average little girl. It was a corny show, if you look back on it now, but I (along with many others in my age groups) loved it and it brings back some oh-so-wonderful memories. lol But anyhow...on that show, just as with many sitcoms, they had some nosy and kind of annoying neighbors, the Brindles...Bonnie Brindle (played by Edie McClurg) was the mom.

Now, back to the chat with my friend. I told him how that phrase, when he said it, made me think of Bonnie Brindle. To me, it sounded so much like something she'd say. He got a kick out of it. lol I'm not even 100% sure if she ever actually said it, but she could have! I do know she had a catch phrase, "No, no no no, no no!", which she said plenty of times. lol I even left him a little comment with her picture, as a little inside joke. hehe

While I was searching for her picture online I ended up finding a little more info about her. I found her IMDB profile, her official website and a bunch of other random fan-created Small Wonder sites. I even checked out a few clips on youtube, which actually lead to my trip down memory lane about a few other shows I liked back then, which I posted their theme songs on the post before this one.

So there I was, having my own little Edie McClurg moments. It had come and gone. Or so I thought. Last night I go over to Juan's and we're just chilling, having eaten some pizza, and watching a new show he likes, Miss Guided. The second episode we see is about this teacher, Ms. Pool, that nobody likes. She's like the school bully-teacher. She puts people down, picks on fellow teachers and makes men run errands for her. I'll give you one guess as to who was the special guest star playing this person! Think hard. Yep...the one and only Edie McClurg! lol I couldn't believe it. lol I just thought it was so funny and crazy how I'd spent a few moments just recently looking up stuff on her and now there she is again on TV, in glorious hi definition! Checking out her IMDB I did see that she had done many things, including a lot of voice acting, over the years. But as of now, Miss Guided isn't listed on her page.

I just find it kinda funny when this happens. And I notice it happens every now and then. Some new person, thing, place or idea will enter my knowledge. Something or someone that maybe I haven't heard of before or not in a long time, and it's freshly stored in my mind. Then all of a sudden I see this same thing appear somewhere else, mentioned by someone else or read about it. I know it's really all about the knowledge. Because I've just learned about this thing (or been reminded of it recently), if I see it again it will obviously stand out. Whereas if nobody had ever told me about it or I'd already forgotten it, if I saw it I probably wouldn't have noticed it at all. Hmmmm...or maybe there's some magical powers all around us that connect our everyday thoughts in a way that none of us will ever understand. I'd like to think the latter. ;)

No comments: