Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My TV Banners

What do most people use the Internet for? To look up things they are interested in, of course. Therefore, I'll often spend a lot of my online time checking out entertainment, music, film, animation, electronics, DVDs and television related sites, blogs or news. I have an ever growing list of bookmarks that I like to check up on every so often.

Recently, one of the television sites that I enjoy, thetvaddict.com, put up a little challenge of sorts, "Pimp Your Show." The deal was that you could submit a banner of a given size where you promote your favorite show. The banner/header image would then be used at the top of their website for a day (or more). It could be a current show, an upcoming show, or maybe a show that got cancelled and you want to show your anger over it...something along those lines. This immediately caught my attention. I love television shows and I love playing around with graphics/editing...albeit on an amateur level. So to combine two of my interests sounded like a fun project for me.

Of course, the very first thing that came to my mind was "How can I involve Buffy The Vampire Slayer?" lol Then I remembered that her creator, Joss Whedon, is working on a new show with Eliza Dushku, Dollhouse, which should be coming out this Fall (if all things go as planned). With that in mind, I got to work on my first banner image. And this is it:


I don't know if it'll get picked. Looking back now I feel like it's too simple, not much to really catch your attention. Plus, I wanted to go with a sort of "girls of Whedon" theme....showing some of his past characters and then the new one. But this new show is still quite far off. Last night I got to work on a second idea. This time I wanted to promote Reaper, one of the new shows from last year on the CW that I really liked. Unfortunately it's still "on the bubble" and could get cancelled. So I thought it'd be perfect to try and promote that one a bit. After working out some ideas in my mind, I couldn't really come up with something that great. LOL Below is what I came up with.

It's not horrible, I think. But I felt like it wasn't complete. Maybe I should've worked on it a bit more before submitting. But oh well, who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and one of these will be used on the site. It'd be the first time an image I edit makes is viewed by thousands of eyes. lol It's things like this that make me smile. lol

What do you think? If you had to pick one, which would you use? As much as I love my Buffy, I think I'd go with the second one...even though I felt I needed to add a better message in it. I'm not 100% happy with either result, but I still had fun making them. And if either one is used on the site, even better! There's no prize or anything. It's all in good fun.

No comments: