Wednesday, January 14, 2009

All That and a Bag of Chips


As I was driving to work this morning, cutting through the streets of Downtown L.A., I came across a beautiful sight. I came to a stop at a red light and looked to my right. There, walking along the sidewalk, I saw a man. And no...HE is not the "beautiful sight" that I'm talking about. Though...he was a cutie. lol Anyhow...that's beyond the point. It was more about who was with him.

The guy was probably in his late 20's, mid 30's at most. Kinda tall, thin build, dressed in t-shirt & jeans style. On his right hand he was holding a leash, which lead down to a cute little dog. On his left hand he was holding on to the tiny hand of a cute little girl. I can't decide who was the cutest...the little dog or the little girl. hehe The dog was a small, brown dog. Don't know the breed. The girl was probably no more than a year old at most. She was able to walk on her own but not very fast, almost seemed as if he let her hand go she might fall. She had blond hair, light skin, and was holding a small bag of chips in her other hand.

So there they were, the man, the little girl and the little dog, just strolling down the streets of L.A. on a sunny Wednesday morning. And for some reason, in that instant, as I saw them walking together...I couldn't help but admire them. Of course, I knew nothing about them. He could just be her big brother, taking her to a babysitter and walking the family dog at the same time. He could've been a divorced father whose turn it was to spend time with her. Who knows. But in my mind, I pictured this perfect little family. The dad going out for a walk with his baby girl, his pride and joy, and bringing along their other love of the family, their pet dog. The wife is probably at home somewhere, or maybe even at work. And it got me to thinking, yet again, about kids. Having kids, that is. One of the "big questions" as we get older in life, especially for gay couples.

I saw that man and the little girl, and I thought to myself, "That could be me." I'd want that to be me some day. I've had many dreams where I do have a little girl...and always a little girl for some reason...and I feel so much joy. She's my love, my child, my little angel. As much as I love my family, my friends and of course my bf...I know there's still plenty of room in my heart for another person...a little person. :) I think I'd make a great dad. I learned from the best, my parents! I've often felt that, emotionally, at this point in my life, I am ready for a child, if I were to try to go that route. But of course, it's not just about emotions and wanting a kid. There are many other factors that go along with it. Can you support them financially? Where will you all live? Does your bf want a child, too? Would you be able to give them the time and attention they deserve? And so on.

So in that minute or so that I sat in my car at the red light, watching the man and his two companions, I couldn't help but admire that sight. In my mind, my background I instantly made up for him, that man had it all. A loving wife, a beautiful child, a cute pet...all that and a bag of chips!

No comments: