Friday, January 30, 2009

My "Horrible" Week


It's the last week of January, February is just around the corner. I had a lot of work to keep me busy this week, so it went by relatively quick. But, I must say, this has been a very horrible week for me. Dr. Horrible, that is! :)

If you don't know what it is (i.e. you aren't in the "cool club" lol), then let me enlighten you. "Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Along Blog" is a short musical (approx half an hour or so) from 2008 that is set up in 3 acts. It starts Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser; How I Met Your Mother), Nathan Fillion (Firefly; Desperate Housewives) and Felicia Day (Buffy the Vampire Slayer; The Guild). It was created by the man, the genius, my entertainment saviour...Joss Whedon. During the writer's strike of recent past, which put the entertainment industry on hold, he set forth on this low budget project I believe in part to show the power of the internet over entertainment media. He released the musical, one act at a time, for free through DrHorrible.com. Then it went on to iTunes and similar online sites, eventually being released as a DVD and CD soundtrack (both of which I own, of course). You can still get it in all formats, just check out the site for the links. Or, if you want to view it online, it's available at Hulu.com by going HERE.

Being a fan of Whedon's TV work, I'm automatically drawn to anything that has his name attached to it. (Did you know, by the way, that he was also a writer on the original Toy Story!) When Dr. Horrible came out, I was excited to check it out. Unfortunately, so were many many others because the site hosting it was crashing on me. Eventually I got through, and loved it. It's got everything I love about Whedon's work, plus singing! What more do I need!

This whole week, I've been playing the CD soundtrack in my car as I drive home from work. Being a short musical, the soundtrack is even shorter, but I still have a blast listening to it and singing along (in the confinement of my personal space within my car where nobody has to endure my vocal pipes of death). The more I listen to the lyrics the more I catch funny phrases that always give me a good laugh, such as this one sung by the super cheesy super hero Captain Hammer, Dr. Horribles nemesis...
It may not feel too classy
Begging just to eat
But you know who does that? Lassie.
And she always gets a treat

It's funnier in context, of course. So go watch it! :)

Oh and...with all my rave & praise I forgot to mention what it's actually about. In a nutshell, Dr. Horrible is trying to get into a supervillain league, but to do so he must prove his worth. While doing so, he video-blogs about his latest updates, as well as the girl he likes, Penny. And then there's Captain Hammer, always getting in his way. I won't give away more, it's more fun to watch it for yourself. :)

No comments: