Monday, January 5, 2009

Vancouver - Day 6 - 12/31/08

New Year's Eve! The last day of 2008! Never would I have guessed that I would be spending it in beautiful Vancouver, Canada!

We slept in a bit this morning and then showered and headed out for our visit to North Vancouver, across the Burrard Inlet. After my troubles getting us around Stanley Park and to Granville Island the day before, I made sure to write down detailed info and study the maps online for this day. lol We were going to visit the Capilano Suspension Bridge and maybe even Grouse Mountain, if time allowed. Lucky for us, my internal navigational system was back in full working order! I got us on the right bus (10 Hastings) up to the Seabus Terminal. We then took a nice trip across the water on the seabus over to Lonsdale Quay, where we boarded the "236 Grouse Mountain" bus. We finally arrived at the Capilano Suspension Bridge at around 2 PM, easy as pie!

We were at the CSB a good two hours at most. We took a bunch of pictures, as usual...with the signs, totem poles, wooded scenery, the bridges, the treetop adventures and even some with the big black bear outside the souvenier shop. I even snapped a picture of the bridge with my cell phone, and it's currently my wallpaper. Everytime I look at it, it takes me back to that moment. I love that! So yeah, the main attraction there, of course, is the suspension bridge, which spans 450ft across and 230ft above the Capilano River. It looks way scarier in pictures than it really is. hehe But it's definitely a fun experience, unless of course you're afraid of heights or don't like walking on bridges that sway back and forth over a river. lol

Before heading to the actual bridge, we grabbed a hot chocolate and a quick snack (pizza for me and a breakfast wrap for Juan). For desert, we split a brownie. Quite a meal, right? lol Once we were warmed up and our tummies fed, we went onto and across the bridge. It was a really nice view from up there! But it was still pretty cold and even the bridge was icy at points. From what I've been told and seen in pictures, I know it looks even more beautiful up there on a clear, green summer's day. Maybe one day I can return, hopefully.

After you cross the bridge there is an area known as the Treetop Adventures, where you get to travel across mini bridges that are hold together along the trees. It's a fun little experience as well. We spent a good time up there just walking among the trees and taking in all the winter scenery. I loved it!

Once we were all Capilano'd out, we thought about heading up to Grouse Mountain. But we didn't want to get back too late, we still had New Year's plans and wanted to get freshened up. Plus, I needed to charge my camera's battery. For some reason, it'd been dying out really quick during the trip. I don't know if maybe the cold weather has anything to do with it? It had never died out on me so quickly before. Fortunately the hotel room was always nearby so I was able to charge it when needed and it never died out completely.

So we headed to the bus stop to take the same route back to the hotel. While at the bus stop, I noticed this one guy that was with two girls would kinda look over at us. Didn't think much of it. Then when we were on the bus, I was standing up and I noticed he'd glance over at times and look at me. At one poin our eyes made contact and he had that little smile. lol I later found out Juan had also noticed him looking at him. I personally never noticed any attention I may attract out and about randomly, so instances like these amuse me. lol

Once we were back in Downtown Vancouver, we hit up a souvenir shop to buy a few things. Juan got a nice hoodie sweater, I got a zip up jacket (which I later found out the CANADA lettering on it was crooked! grrrr.). We both also bought a few random things, but not too many. They always end up in cabinets or just collecting dust anyway. lol There were these cute little stuffed mascots from the upcoming 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver that I couldn't resist! I swear...I think I'm a little kid on the inside. hehe I got the Miga & Sumi mascots...which Juan says Miga is him and I am the Sumi one. :)

We were back in our hotel room at around 6pm. Juan needed a nap to re-energize for what was probably going to be a long New Year's countdown night ahead. I don't think I ended up napping this time. Either way, we had agreed to meet up at Kevin's at around 9PM. We found out, when we were taking the bus back to the hotel earlier, that the buses were running free til 5am to prevent drunk drivers. So we took the bus to Kevin's apt. I think that was the first time we didn't walk along Davie. lol

We arrived some time after 9 and had a bit of trouble getting in to the building because I couldn't figure out how to buzz him and my cell phone was acting up. But we finally made it up and our New Year's countdown with Kevin and Sara began...

Sara had prepared a delicious meat dish (I believe it was pork) along with a little vegetable medley and some potatoes and a sauce to pour over the meat. It was all really delicious. We all had some wine to go with the dinner, did some cheers to the new year, and had a really lovely dinner. I personally really loved this. I never expected I'd be spending New Year's Eve having dinner at a new friend's apt. It meant a lot to me, and I had a nicer time than I ever would've just going to some random club full of complete strangers as we had originaly figured we'd end up doing. To me, it's always the people that make moments special. So to be able to spend this night with the man I love and with two new, extremely cool, friends...it was perfection.

After the delicious dinner, Sara brought out some gelatin and cake for dessert, and then we were all ready to head out for the final countdown at Delilah's. Delilah's was the place where we were originally going to meet up with Kevin and Sara the first time, but was closed that night. This time, though, they had a nice New Year's Eve event going on, complete with a performance of Rihanna's "Umbrella" by Diva Simone. The whole place was nicely decorated with ballons and party favors to ring in the new year. We took our spots at the bar, I had a Funky Monkey and I think Juan had one called Life's a Peach. Juan, Sara and myself pretty much stuck to our spot, and Kevin would join us but also went around to other people since he knew people that worked there. Everyone there seemed really nice, it was definitely a great atmosphere. I can definitely see why Kevin likes the place.

When it was time for the countdown, he gave us each 12 grapes to eat during the countdown. Three...Two...One...HAPPY NEW YEAR! We all gave each other New Year's hugs and toasts, along with random people that were all around us. It was a very fun and special moment. I couldn't help but actually stop and think to myself..."Wow...I'm actually here!" I loved it! Of course, I was snapping just random pictures like crazy. lol

Eventually, as things started to wind down a bit, we walked back to Kevin's apt. As we were walking, it started to snow a little. I loved it! Being new to snow, I still get excited when I see it snowing. I was carrying a little orange balloon I took from Delilah's with me, and by the time we'd reached the apt it was starting to sink because some of the snow was collecting on top of it. :)

Back at his apt, we just went well into the early morning hours drinking a little more wine, listening to some music and talking, having a good time. I'm not even sure exactly what time we ended up falling asleep. The whole night just went by so quickly. But when you're having a nice time...doesn't it always?

No comments: