Friday, January 23, 2009

The Shirt Off Your Back

Question: If you were to see this guy out on the streets and he comes up to you asking for some clothes...YOUR clothes that you are wearing...what would you do?

I like to think of myself as a kind, generous and caring person that'll try my best to help others in their time of need. But I don't know how I would react if a complete stranger just came up to me, wearing nothing but a beret and some briefs (yet looking quite good, if I may add lol), and asked me for my clothes. I wish I could say I'm always willing to help everyone out, even a complete stranger, but I can't help but always be a bit cautious. I hear so much in the news about the horrible things some people do, I tend to always watch myself around people I don't know.

So yeah, this whole scenario was just one of the little challenges given to contestants on the new Saturday night CBS show "Gameshow In My Head". It's a game show where one person is given several embarrassing, uncomfortable and overall funny tasks to complete. They all involve the person going up to random strangers and interacting with them in some way to complete the challenge. During all this, the host (Joe Rogan) is communicating to the contestant through a headpiece, hence the name of the show. The random people that get involved don't know what's going on, as it's all being filmed on hidden cameras, and the contestant can't mention it's a show at any point.

I just came across this show randomly but am kinda hooked on it now. It's pretty funny yet at the same time it raises some interesting questions as to what complete strangers are willing to do. As Blanche du Bois would say, from A Streetcar Named Desire, you "can always rely on the kindness of strangers". (Don't let this reference fool ya...I'm not that 'cultured'. I only know this line from that episode where Marge played her in The Simpsons lol.) But can you really rely on strangers?

What makes the challenges especially difficult is that most people tend to run away from complete strangers coming up to them and acting weird or asking for strange requests (such as the lady dressed as a hospital patient out on the street, complete with an IV bag, asking people to forge a doctor's signature on her release form). One poor guy looked freak out when a lady started to do a little singing strip tease and opened up her shirt revealing her Wonder Woman outfit underneath. lol

But then there are instances where some people really do shine. There really are still people out there that have a very open heart. That guy, Seth, when he was walking around in his underwear asking for people's clothes, making up all types of random excuses, kept being ignored or pushed away. There was one lady who snapped a picture of him with her cell phone, though. lol He eventually finds a woman who gives him some bright little sweater she was wearing, and another guy gives him some socks. But then, he meets a couple that really went above and beyond. The man gives him his shirt, shoes AND pants! His wife had an extra pair of shorts with them though. Maybe they were gym bound? Seriously, how many people out there would give a stranger that much? It's one thing to help someone with a monetary donation or donating clothes through organizations and whatnot, but to just hand over what you're wearing? Wow. Kudos to that man! I believe Seth went on to win the maximum. Hopefully he at least treated that man to a new outfit or something.

What about you? Would you have given up the clothes off your body to a random guy? How friendly (or cautious) are you around complete strangers?

No comments: