Tuesday, January 27, 2009

College Dazed


Whenever I go visit Juan after work, on my way to his house, I pass by the USC campus. Often, I'll be stopped at a red light for a couple of minutes at the side of some dorm rooms. I glance over at some of the windows and see the students sitting at their beds, studying, watching tv or doing who-knows-what. I see them jogging around the campus. I see them walking back to their rooms from evening classes or study sessions, backpacks and books in hand, and their youthful looks taunting me! For some reason, as I drive through there, I start to think back to my own college days, albeit at the rival (and much better! hehe) school, UCLA. I think back to what I could have done differently. I was never really active in anything. I'd go to school, attend classes, study as much as I could just to keep up. To save money, I'd take the bus back home each night, so my time actually on campus was just to get my work done and go to classes. As a consequence, I never made many close friends there. The ones I did make usually would just last as long as we had classes together. lol So I can't help but wish I could have done a few things differently. Maybe live on campus, join a group or two, or at least be more willing to talk to people. I look back on college and for the most part just remember classrooms and long boring study sessions. But oh well, we can't change what's done. Still, I can't help but feel a bit jealous when I see all those young students starting out college, with many possibilities ahead. Then again...in today's economy and job market, I'm sure many of those students are probably scared of what they'll be heading into after graduation.

No comments: